Why would you throw away an empty tin can when you can reuse it and create a DIY masterpiece? It’s no big shock that our world is filling up with millions of tons of waste each year. The average person produces roughly 4 pounds of waste each day. Save your backyard from becoming a landfill and save those waste materials to use for recycled crafts!
Getting started on your journey to living a zero-waste life is made easier with these incredible recycled crafts ideas. Not only are you contributing to a good cause, but you’re saving hundreds of your hard-earned dollars by not buying first-hand expensive decor items.
Recyclables to Use for Crafts
To make the most of your recycled crafts, you’ll need to know what exactly you can recycle from waste materials to avoid tossing them out.
● Aluminum / Tin
These are the tops waste materials you can recycle and turn into snazzy crafts. But this doesn’t include many other old items that you can also recycle and reuse, such as old clothes, bags, furniture, and much, much more! Make sure to clean each thoroughly before you start on your craft project.
Popular Recycled Craft Material Ideas
You can make practically anything, as long as you put your mind to it.
You can do so much with plastic bottles! From milk jugs, soda bottles, beauty supplies and more, here are 10 ideas to help get your creative juices flowing.
1. Indoor/outdoor bird feeder
2. Makeshift jewelry stand using plastic bottle bottoms
3. Upcycled flower pots
4. Yarn covered plastic bottle bangles
5. Herb planters using empty milk jugs
6. Pyramid organizer using the bottoms of plastic bottles
7. Phone holders from plastic Johnson & Johnson bottles
8. A plastic bottle zipper pouch
9. Grocery bag storage bottle
10. Recycled watering can with holes in the bottle cap
Got some left-over pizza boxes or Amazon deliveries? Think twice before you throw them out! See these nifty recycled crafts ideas using old cardboard below.
1. Decorated cut out letters garland for birthdays, parties, New Years, etc.
2. Stacked cardboard desk office organizer
3. Cardboard lamp shades and light covers
4. Toilet roll phone holder
5. Cardboard playhouse for kids
6. Decorated cardboard storage boxes
7. Repurposed drawer dividers for clothes, shoes, etc.
8. DIY cat scratching post
9. Makeshift cardboard easel for drawing or painting
10. Decorated cardboard toy trucks and kitchenettes for kids
The third most popular recycled craft material to invent something new with: paper!
With paper, whether newspaper, printer paper, packaging paper, or old mail, you can reuse paper and cut down on waste in your home or office!
1. Rolled magazine picture frame
2. Brown paper bag kitchen placemats
3. Recycled paper bag or magazine jewelry
4. Magazine sun clock or mirror
5. Tissue paper flower bouquets
6. Paper bag journal, scrapbook, or photobook
7. Recycled paper customized gift bags
8. Woven paper baskets
9. Rolled paper floral wall decor or door wreaths
10. Recycled paper pencil case holders
With these 30 new ideas for crafting with recyclables, you’ll be saving our planet whilst saving your family time and money! Now how cool is that?